Monday, August 07, 2006

Another TNT filled weekend!

Even though I'm dead tired and still recovering, this weekend was so much fun!

It started out with our first Coached Run of the season at Heather Farms in Walnut Creek. Even though the run didn't start until 9:00, Claudia and I needed to get there at 6:45 to help the water stop people get set up. We met up with Phil and Rocky to get a little run in before we met with the team. According to our Disneyland training calendar, we were supposed to do about 6 miles so we decided to do 3 before the team got there and 3 more with the team. The first 3 went well although our pace was a little faster than normal (thanks to Phil, who was freaking out about getting back to his mentees on time :D) but it was nice a cool. We ran into a lot of familiar faces out there since the Summer team was doing 6-15 miles and started early. We even saw Brenda out there! It was great to see her back out on the trail! After our shoe clinic, a short, but very heartfelt, talk from Brenda, we were back on the trail for our second 3 miles. Since this was about an hour and a half after we finished our first 3 miles, it was MUCH warmer out and that that made for a MUCH slower pace! Next time I tell myself that I don't need to bring water/gatorade with me because I'm only doing 6 miles, I need to think again. I could definitely tell that I needed to drink more fluids.


After a nice nap, Saturday evening we headed over to Oak Hill Park in Danville to listen to the wonderfully talented East Bay Mudd, a 10 piece R&B, Funk and Soul band! Our friend, and fellow TNTer, Jeanette sings back up and her husband plays drums. A bunch of other TNTers showed up, even Mama Lisa and Coach!! It was a perfect night-- gorgeous weather, great music, great friends, a little dancing and some towel jump rope with Rocky and Chris :D

Sunday morning we were up early again but this time we were off to Stern Grove in SF for a free concert. The bands didn't start playing until 2:00 but we were told that the place gets crowded so we met Monica (our team manager) early to save some spots. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting This was the first time that I had been to Stern Grove and it's gorgeous! Driving by, all you see is what looks like a grove of eucalyptus trees, but in the middle of this grove below street level is this awesome outdoor concert venue. Monica was right, by the time we got there at 10:45 the place was packed, and when the bands started playing, hundreds of people were crammed in there like sardines! Good thing we brought lots of food, sangria and beer to tide us over until the bands came on. First up was Ska Cubano and after that came the Spanish Harlem Orchestra. I didn't understand any of the words but I LOVED the music! Being San Francisco, there were lots of interesting characters, including the renaissance fair hobbitt that Phil (aka "Sad Panda") made friends with.

Even though I only ran 6 miles this weekend, my body feels like it's been run over by a truck. But it's a good hurt-- I had such a great weekend and I don't remember when I've ever laughed so much :D

2 comments:

Claudia said...

OMG, this weekend was way too much fun :o)

We did run at a faster pace the first 3 miles too bad the second 3 didn'g go so great and YES next time bring the water/gatorade even if we are only running a short distance. I made the same mistake :o( I was a thirsty Panda :o) hee, hee.

Phil said...

that stop and go traffic on the bridge really made that mini detour trip to treasure island necessary! suffice to say I was a happy panda after that!