Monday, June 23, 2008

(Not so) Summer in the City

To celebrate the end of the Team In Training Spring Season (which means no more early morning Saturday runs) what did I decide to do? Get up at the butt crack of dawn on Saturday!! Amy and Claudia were doing the Tri 4 Fun in Pleasanton-- it was Amy's first triathlon every, and Claudia's first one in awhile. Jeanette and I carpooled down together to go cheer them on. When we left my house at 6:00am it was already warm :( and the day only got warmer after that. Thankfully the sign that I made for Amy and Claudia also doubled as a shade structure :D




Amy and Claudia did a fantastic job!! I was hot just sitting there and I'm so proud of how well they did swimming, biking and running in that heat! A few of our Spring Season teammates were also there doing the triathlon so we got to cheer for them too!


After the race we decided to go grab breakfast-- the athletes had earned it, Rocky, Jeanette and I were just hungry :D After breakfast I went home and napped for the rest of the afternoon. When it had cooled down a little, I went to Target to pick up a few things-- I needed to get a head set for my cell phone so I don't get in trouble for talking on the phone in the car after July 1st, plus some things for the concert we were going to the next day in Golden Gate Park.

Alice Radio was putting on a free concert called Alice's Summerthing. They had about 5 bands/artists... not any that were super famous but most all of them had at least one or two songs I knew. It was more of an excuse though to enjoy a nice day with friends in the city. Too bad the "nice" day part of it didn't really happen :( When Lael and I left my house at 10:30, I was dressed in shorts and a tank top, anticipating really nice weather in the city. I grabbed a fleece jacket just in case, thinking that I'd probably end up using it as a pillow. Thank god I brought it because it was FREEZING out there!!

As soon as we went through the tunnel I could see the fog in the city, but I hoped it wasn't anywhere near Golden Gate Park. By the time we got to the park though the sun was gone and the temperature had dropped about 15 degrees :( Lael's friend Kelvin and his GF Amie had gotten there before us and had claimed a good spot in the meadow. Thankfully I had brought a large towel and a fleece blanket to sit on-- with the fleece blanket on top of us, it wasn't too bad. The first band started and more of our friends showed up... Phil, Claudia and Rocky all came after their training was over. My friend Katie and her BF also showed up towards the end of the afternoon. The music was good, we were stuffed with food and we had a good time despite the not-so-summery weather!


No comments: