Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Liar, liar :D


A little over a week ago I posted about my mom's 60th birthday... and a couple of weeks before that about my brother's surprise visit for Mother's Day. Since I wasn't going to be around for her 60th bday (it was the same weekend as Rock N'Roll) getting my brother to come down for Mother's Day was also an early birthday present. But a few days before my mom's birthday, her friend Deni called saying that we needed to plan a surprise party for my mom. There's no saying "NO" to Deni so I said "Okay, what do you have in mind?" That's when the plan was hatched :D

Deni's idea was for a 2 part birthday surprise. First she'd get my mom to come to Sacramento for the day and Deni would surprise her with a spa day. After the spa, they'd go to dinner where family and friends would be waiting! Since I was going to be gone for my mom's actual birthday, we decided that we'd have this celebration on the 7th, also hoping that it would throw my mom off the scent! After MANY emails and calls between me, Deni and my dad, the spa and dinner reservations were made, the family/friends were invited to dinner, the decorations were made, the cake was ordered and we were ready!!

Saturday afternoon as my mom was on the way to Roseville to meet Deni, I was also headed to Roseville. We decided it would be a nice surprise to have me meet them down at the spa. We were hoping that she'd think THAT was the big surprise and not guess that anything was coming after. I got to the spa first and filled out my paperwork. The ladies there were VERY nice and had the whole thing planned out. They parked me in the "Relaxation Room" to wait for Deni and my mom to arrive. Once they got there, the ladies took them on a tour of the spa, including the Relaxation Room, where I was waiting! My mom was very surprised to see me, but I didn't get as much of a scream as my brother did :D Since we were there at the end of the day, the ladies closed the doors and basically gave us the run of the place. We busted out some champagne I had brought and had a nice afternoon of relaxation!



All disheveled from their first treatment!


Me enjoying the sauna

During my facial at the end of the afternoon, I started thinking about the next phase of the plan. Deni and I had concocted a story that would let me leave the spa so I could go down to the restaurant and set up some decorations before my mom and Deni arrived. I was a little nervous about us being about to act natural so my mom wouldn't guess that something was up. :D I think we did a pretty good job because my mom didn't guess a thing! I told her that I needed to go pick up Deni's daughter who hadn't been able to make it for the spa, but had come down from the city for dinner. Our story worked and I was able to leave a little early to go meet everyone at Buca di Beppo to set up!

When I got to the restaurant everyone was already there and waiting for the guest of honor. :D We threw up some decorations and about 10 minutes later she showed up! She was very shocked and excited to see all the family and friends who had come to help her celebrate! After a yummy dinner our server brought out a cake my dad had brought from Yuba City and we all sang Happy Birthday! I think that everyone had a good time, and I know my mom was very surprised so I'd say the day was a success!!
I didn't take many pictures but I'll add some when other people send me theirs!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Liv~ And WHAT a surprise it was!!! I'm still chuckling about it days later. Yes Liv, you were right to just let Deni have her way, she was going to get me a party one way or another!! I have to say, either I am extraordinairily dense, or you people are incredibly good at "spinning tales" because I was TOTALLY surprised! OH-MY-GOSH it was fun. What wonderful memories...even Grady and Lindsey got into the act with their phone calls to keep me off the track. Thank you oh so much, beautiful and amazing daughter!! You are the premier party planner of the family...
Love you T H I S M U C H ;D Mom