Thursday, January 31, 2008

I'm a "Fat Kid"...

... no, I don't mean that literally! In April I will participating in The Relay, a 199 mile relay that stretches from Calistoga, in Napa Valley, to Santa Cruz. 12-member teams run 36 legs (3 legs per runner, 3-8.9 miles each) through 36 cities and across the Golden Gate Bridge at midnight. I'm crazy you say? Um, yeah. Team names can get a little crazy too... 12 Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest, Does This Van Make My Butt Look Big? and Pain Train are just a few this year. But ours is the best by far... Fat Kids Always Go For Seconds! (Last years team was Fat Kids Always Win at See-Saw)

I'm really excited about doing The Relay. 1) It will get me running again, 2) I've heard this is the craziest race I'll ever do, 3) I get to be part of an experienced team which means even if I have no idea what's going on, THEY do :D and 4) Because I'm the slowest on the team, I get the easiest legs (wait, do I actually want to admit that? Oh well :D) Last year Phil posted a really good description of his experience with the Fat Kids!

After much thinking, I've also decided to do the Rock N'Roll San Diego Half Marathon on June 1 with Team In Training. I hadn't originally planned on doing an event this season, but then decided that since I'd be out training for The Relay, I might as well continue training for a half marathon. I've never done this event before so it's a good chance to do something new, AND it's only offered to Team In Training participants and alumni so that makes it special too! This means that I will also be fundraising this season also! Yep you got it... time to open up those wallets and SEND ME SOME MONEY!! This season I'm committed to raising $2,000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society so if you'd like to donate money to a good cause, just grab your credit card and head over to my fundraising page.

1 comment:

Phil said...

fyi - we (experienced fat kids) have no idea what we are doing.