Thursday, September 13, 2007

I'm so confused... what day is it?

Man, this week is throwing me for a loop...

Tuesday I left work around noon to drive up to Yuba City for my mom's ordination. On my way, I swung by the Sacramento airport to pick up my brother who had flown in from Portland. We got to YC around 2:30 and had about a half hour to chat with my mom before we needed to start getting ready. The ordination wasn't until 6:00 but we had to get to the church at 4:00 for practice-- my brother and I were carrying the flags during the procession and recession so we needed to be there early too.

A little after 5:00 everyone else started to roll into the church. My mom had sent an announcement about her ordination to a number of family and friends and a lot of them showed up. My aunt was there with my little cousin Elizabeth. A family friend from NY came all the way out. A 2nd cousin of my mom and his son, my 3rd cousin, neither of which I had ever met before (at least that I remember!) came from the Bay Area and Davis. Some family friends from Stockton and Sacramento also made the trip up. I even saw some family friends that I hadn't seen for at least 6 or 7 years... and it was much longer since they had seen my brother!

The service itself was very nice... it was pretty much a regular church service with the ordination of the new Deacons and one new Priest in the middle. The vising Bishop from Bolivia (but who was NOT actually Bolivian as I found out :D) also re-affirmed and re-confirmed some members of the church. And who snorted during the service? Um yeah, that would be me :/ Good thing everyone else was laughing so no one really heard me. :) My mom did a great job... she even got to give her first communion :D Now that she's a Deacon she can perform parts of the service, can baptize people, marry them with permission from the Bishop and can even be called Reverend. But darn it... she can't absolve those peskly little sins! CONGRATULATIONS MOM!!! I'm very proud of you :D

After the service there was a very nice reception... we visiting with all the family and friends that had shown up to support my mom, ate some yummy deviled eggs and took pictures :) By the time we got home, it was about 9:30. LOOONNGGG day :(

The next morning I was up at 6:30 and my brother and I were out of the house by 8am. I dropped him off at the airport again for his flight back, and then drove straight to work. After work I had to run out to San Ramon to pick up an air mattress from Karen to use this weekend. I dropped by Target on my way home to pick up a few more camping supplies. I had planned on running on my own when I got home (since Claudia and Amy were both down for the count due to injuries/aggravations) but by the time I got home it was already getting dark :( I was so tired I ate some food, watched a little tv and was in bed by 9:15. Tonight is laundry night so that tomorrow I can pack up for Yosemite. Is this week over YET?

No comments: