Monday, November 17, 2008

Heat Wave!

Just when I put away my flip flops (not literally put them away-- they're still lying at the bottom of my closet-- but mentally put them away), put on my winter sheets and add on an extra comforter, we have a heat wave. Go figure. BUT, I'm not complaining! It's still been nice a cool at night, but it's been getting warmer during the day. It has been nice that our first team runs have been in this "global warming" winter, and not in the freezing cold!

Last week we had our first track workout on Thursday night. I think everyone was really excited about being able to work out on a nice new track at DVC but unfortunately that didn't happen. We got word at the last minute that the track was "no longer available" to us but in true East Bay Rocks fashion, we made due with what we had available, meaning the parking lot across the street :) While we stared longingly at the beautiful, well-lit track across the street, Coach Al K. had us do an abbreviated circuit drill workout (Various exercises like planks, lunges and supermans, with a lap run in between each "circuit").

It's been a long time since I did any strength training or circuit drills (I think the last time was training for the New York Marathon, over a year ago) and boy did I feel some of those exercises the next day! By Friday night my abs and butt cheeks were killing me! I had a chance to loosen it all up though on Saturday at our Coached Run at Piedmont High School. We also held Marathon University on Saturday, so they kept the run very short... just a timed mile or two around the track. I was helping direct people to the track from the street so I missed the warm up and stretch but I made it down there in time for a few laps around the track. Then we all made the hike back up through the campus to our Marathon University location. At Marathon U. we learned about proper shoes, gear, nutrition and stretching/injury prevention... all the things that new runners need to know :)


Later Saturday night Claudia, Rocky and I drove out to San Rafael to help celebrate Brandy's birthday and check out her new digs :D As usual, the birthday party was a lot of fun-- Brandy made some yummy food and a sinfully delicious cake and we got to enjoy the nice weather outside!


Sunday was an extremely lazy day. I'm almost too embarrassed to say how lazy of a day it was. Let's just say that I didn't do anything. At all. But now I'm all rested for the busy week ahead!








No comments: