Wednesday, November 05, 2008

An Historic Evening

By yesterday afternoon, I was ready. I had read through my voter pamphlet, filled out my practice ballot and I was ready to vote! When I drove by the Elk's Lodge yesterday morning (my local polling place) I saw there was a line already starting to snake through the parking lot. I didn't have time to vote before work and I was hoping that line would be gone by the time I went to vote after work.

All day I read about the election day craziness and couldn't wait to cast my vote and hear the results! Thankfully when I stopped it at the Elk's Lodge, there were no lines at all and the voting process only took about 5 minutes. I was meeting up with my friend Ann a little later and since I still had time I went home to watch a little of the early election coverage. By the time I headed back downtown to meet Ann, they were reporting results from just a handful of states.

Ann and I had a nice evening at Havana but we were completely cut off from all the election coverage. When we left the restaurant around 9:00, we headed over to Starbucks to get our free coffee and heard a bunch of commotion coming from Pyramid a block over. On the way back to our cars, we stopped by to see what was going... we figured it had to be something related to the election. Sure enough, they were having a party for a bunch of election volunteers and the whole place was packed. We asked a woman selling Obama buttons outside what the latest news was and she told us that McCain had just conceded to Obama! WHAT???! I didn't expect to hear any results until a little later in the evening so I was surprised that we had our President already! Ann said that this will be one of those moments that we always remember and I think she's right. No matter who you voted for, this was an historic event and I think I'll always remember where I was the moment it happened! We stayed to watch a little of Obama's speech and soak up all the excitement! Once I got home, I turned on the TV to try and catch up on everything that had been going on.

WOO HOO... we have a new President!! I am very happy with the choice that America made! I'm excited to see what kind of changes Obama's Presidency will bring to our nation... and I'm hopeful that they will be the changes we need!

No comments: