Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Buddy(less) Run

During the season, Tuesday evenings bring Buddy Runs-- a 3-6 mile run with other TNT participants. Meeting up with a group of fellow marathoners- and half marathoners-in-training and running together is what makes training easier. But since the Fall Season doesn't start for another few weeks, and the weather was so nice last night, I headed out for my run soon after I got home from work. I decided to run on the Iron Horse Trail, conveniently accessed right across the street from our apartment, and head out to Ygnacio Valley Rd (roughly 3 or so miles round trip).

This run drove home the reason why I love training with the team-- I HATE running on my own! For the entire run I felt off... I couldn't find that groove. Was I out of breath and feeling crappy because I was running too fast (not likely :D)? Because I hadn't eaten anything since lunch? Because I ate a crappy lunch? Who knows. :( I couldn't blame it on the heat this time... the weather was perfect for a run--cool and breezy.

I may attempt another solo run on Thursday, hopefully that one feels better than last night's run!

2 comments:

Claudia said...

good job on getting out there and running. I think since we are so used to running with everyone running on our own just never feels quite right. I know I always feel icky being out there alone. Once we get back from our trip you'll have company and no more buddyless runs :o) I'll be joining ya.

Phil said...

Ms. O....I think it's a combo of everything. Crappy lunch + not eating before running + going too fast + going solo = yucky run.

Next time, save the crappy lunches for a non-running day, stick a powerbar in your belly before you run, go slower, and get some buddies for your run and you'll feel GRRRRREAT!