Thursday, July 13, 2006

Laps with Brenda

Wednesday night I headed out to UCSF to visit my friend and team honoree Brenda. Brenda just finished the first of three rounds of chemo she needs to get before she can have a bone marrow transplant. Brenda is just one of the many amazing people that I have met through Team In Training and she is an inspiration not just to me but to hundreds of others as well.

Anyone who knows Brenda, knows she isn't one to loaf around-- and in true Brenda style, my visit turned into a workout :D We did about 13 laps around her hospital floor, which equals about 1 mile. And Brenda isn't one to casually stroll... she's pulling her IV pole, I'm recording each lap on a paper taped to her door and all the while we're chatting and dodging the robotic floor cleaner, doctors, nurses and unidentifiable (to me at least) hospital equipment along the way!

While I was there, she got some great news... her levels of white blood cells, neutrophils, etc. have all been improving enough so that she may be able to come home this weekend! YEAH!! She'll also be finding out on Wednesday if any of the potential donors they have are actually a match!

No comments: