Monday, October 13, 2008

A "Rockin'" Weekend

Well, I managed to cram a lot of fun into the weekend, but no running! Whoops! Friday night Claudia and I met up in Oakland and had dinner before heading off to the Rockit Room in SF for the MotherHumbuckers CD Release Party. We got out there super early (no traffic!!) and ended up going with Rocky, Ollie and Jose to a Thai place down the street... they got dinner and Claudia and I got dessert :D When we got back to the Rockit Room, the first band was already playing. We listened to the rest of their set, and watched all the MotherHumbuckers fans, friends and family start pouring into the club. By the time the feature band went on, there was a pretty big crowd there! They did a fantastic job, and even played some new songs that I wasn't familiar with! After they were done playing we hung around visiting and listening to the other two bands that came after MotherHumbuckers. We didn't leave until around 1:00, and I wasn't tucked into bed until around 2:00 am. I haven't stayed out that late on a Friday night for a long time! It was well worth it though!

Claudia and I had decided that instead of getting up early to run on Saturday, we'd give our self a few hours to recover and then run together around 5:00. Umm yeah, that didn't happen. I think we were both still tired from the night before and just wanted to relax. I was going to make dinner for Claudia, Rocky and I after we ran but we just skipped the running part and did just dinner instead!

Sunday we were all up early so we could get out to the city for Now & Zen. We had scored some free tickets (and ended up having a few extra) and I was super excited about going! We went to Whole Foods to pick up some sandwiches for lunch, and then drove into the city. When I first walked out of the house around 8:45am on my way to Oakland, it was freezing, and I was so happy that I had bundled up. I even brought along some gloves and a fleece hat in case it was really windy or cold, seeing that the concert was outside in Golden Gate Park. Of course it ended up being sunny and warm and I was burning up in my long sleeved shirt! The concert started at 12:00 and they started letting us in around 11:00. Already I could feel that it was warming up and by the time the second act went on, I was getting uncomfortably warm. I ended up buying a 1999 Now & Zen shirt they had there for $10 just so I could change out of my long sleeved shirt :D

The bands were all really great... the first one to go on was Lenka, then Sarah Bareilles, Sugar Ray, Gavin DeGraw and finally Duffy. They were all amazing live performers and even though I didn't know all the songs from most of the artists (except Gavin DeGraw and Sugar Ray, who mostly played their old hits, with a few news songs sprinkled in), I really enjoyed each one. After over 5 hours of sitting in the sun listening to music, I got home around 6:30, tired and sunburned, but happy. It was a great weekend :D

No comments: