Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Time to taper

It doesn't seem quite right that we're in taper mode now, when I've only really been training for the past couple of weeks! But, tapering we are! Right now, tapering just means that I'm bailing on a few weekly runs due to other commitments and this weekend I'm only running about 6 miles :)

My weekend started out nicely... my parents were driving through Walnut Creek on Friday afternoon so we met up for an early bird dinner after I got off of work. We went to the yummy new burger place I had gone to last week (it was one of the only places I could think of that might be open at 4:30 :D) and I had a very good, and running friendly, chicken sandwich. After a too-quick dinner, my parents had to head back on the road again and I went home to get everything ready for the 10 miler the next day and just hang out.

Claudia and I had decided to meet up at Heather Farms and run our 10 miler there. We figured that would be good spot since we could run out and back one way for 2.5 miles, refilly our bottles back at the car, and then go out 2.5 miles and back the other way. Mentally we thought it would break the run up nicely into two more manageable sounding distances :D We needed all the mental help we could get!

We started out around 7:30 and both had expected it to be on the cool side. It actually started warming up and there were no signs of the clouds we thought we be out. The first 5 miles went really well... we chatted and ran at a very comfortable (not too slow or fast) pace. Once we got back to the car we refilled bottles, refueled and then headed back out onto the trail. During the second 5 miles the clouds started rolling in, which brought us a welcome break from the sun. I think we slowed down just slightly, but we were still running the entire time (except for some short breaks waiting for the light to change at the cross streets). We finished our 10 miles in almost exactly 2 hours and we both felt really good. I feel much more confident now about the Nike Half Marathon in two weeks-- I know it's not going be my best half marathon, but I feel prepared to be able to do the distance without dying along the way! After our run, we went out to breakfast to reward ourselves with some pancakes and waffles :D Yumm!

After a quick trip to Target, I went home, took a shower and took a LONG nap :) I woke up and was surprised to find that I wasn't hurting at all (other than a little chaffing... ouch). I love how after long runs I feel completely justified doing absolutely nothing for the rest of the day! Sunday I didn't do a whole lot of anything either... it was so nice outside I sat out on the balcony and read, and then got sucked into The Starter Wife on USA. Ahh, another unproductive day :)

Last night I had to bail on my run with Amy (SORRY AMY!!) because my parents were driving back through town again and wanted to hook up for another early bird dinner :D I don't get to see them a whole lot and it was nice to be able to have a quick dinner with them! We went to grab a bite (and some wine) at Va di Vi and I heard about their weekend down in San Jose and Santa Cruz. My mom was taking a class on doing voice overs and then got to have a recording session at a studio in Santa Cruz. (Shameless plug to follow: If anyone needs someone to do a voice over, my mom's available!)

1 comment:

Sylvia said...

Thank you, Liv, for the plug~ I appreciate it!! It was SO cool being in the recording booth for two hours! That's something I didn't expect to have happen in my lifetime. Dave even took a cool photo...Two dinners in one week-end with our daughter was so fun. Let's do it again soon!!