Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Napa Gala Weekend

Since I have not running update (whoops, fell asleep and missed the Buddy Run last night :() I'll update about the weekend's festivities...

On Friday Amy and I took off from work a little early so we could get a start on the drive before traffic got bad. We made pretty good time up to Yountville, checked into the hotel, took some pictures of our room (don't ask me why!) and decided to head off to Chandon for some champagne tasting! Yumm, me likey Champagne! We enjoyed the beautiful, if slightly cool, weather while sipping on some champagne. We didn't make it anywhere else because 1) most places were closed at that time, and 2) it was getting close to dinner time!






We headed back to the hotel where we enjoyed some wine tasting and hors d' oeuvres laid out in the hotel lobby. I met some of Amy's coworkers, we socialized for awhile and then Amy and I, Jeanette and Michael and one of their coworkers and his wife went for dinner at Go Fish in St. Helena. Once we got there we had to wait about a half hour or so for our table. I think they felt bad for us because they brought us all a glass of champagne while we waited, and then brought us out two free starters once we got seated!! I was feeling very brave (maybe all the champagne helped) and actually ordered sushi for dinner! If you know me, you know HOW unheard of that is! The food was very yummy and we had a good time chatting with eachother!










Saturday morning Amy had to get up earlyish to go to a meeting and I got to sleep in :D After I finally got up and got ready, I headed down to the lobby for their full service complimentary breakfast. They had EVERYTHING... fruit, pastries, eggs, potatoes, an omelet station, a waffle station and even champagne! Even though it was a little chilly outside, I sat out there next to the heat lamps and enjoyed my waffle with strawberries :D

Once Amy's meeting was over with, we headed down to the V Marketplace to look around at the shops. We had some time to kill before we needed to be at Hurley's for a lunch her boss was hosting for a few people. Lunch was REALLY good... it was three courses (a starter, entree and dessert) with, of course, plenty of wine. After the three hour lunch Amy and I were pooped and decided to skip out on the wine tasting we had planned to do. She tried to nap and I read outside on our balcony!



At 5:00 it was time to start getting ready. We got all prettied up and headed over the the Barrel Room at the V Marketplace for Cocktail Hour at 6:00. Everything was decorated so nicely-- they had a full bar and waiters walking around will little appetizers and in the background were the sounds of a jazz trio.






At 7:00 it was dinner time so we all walked over to the dinner tent. Everything inside was decorated in chocolate brown, gold and deep red... it looked gorgeous! The only problem was that the side of the tent were mesh, so it was SUPER chilly :( Dinner was yummy and there was a lot of food. Of course a lot of wine too (although they were filling up our water glasses more than our wine glasses... maybe they wanted to keep up from getting too drunk!!)








After the leisurely dinner, we all headed back over to the Barrel Room for the Dancing portion of the evening! I was so excited because the Big Bad Voodoo Daddy's was that evening entertainment! I have no idea how to dance to swing, but I do love their music so I knew it would be fun. We all got out there a danced... even Ms. Amy shook her tail feather!! After the party was over we ended up hanging out with some of the part goers across the street at Bouchon, a restaurant owned by famed French Laundry and Per Se chef Thomas Keller. Umm, I'm not in college anymore... why do I think I can handle these late nights?!




Since we poured ourselves into bed pretty late the night before, we slept in on Sunday, missing the free breakfast at the hotel. Instead we drove into St. Helena for some greasy food-- just what the doctor ordered. :D After a quick side trip to V. Sattui to pick up some wine and a stop along the way to the Jelly Belly Factory (we needed a sugar fix to keep ourselves awake on the ride home!) we were finally home! It was a really fun weekend-- we ate, we drank, we partied, we (mostly I) met tons of new people and other than being a little chilly, the weather was perfect! Now I just need to recover from the weekend :D

No comments: