Tuesday, April 08, 2008

A new cause

Over the past 5 years, I've raised some money (a few thousand bucks) for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. When I first started Team In Training, I didn't have a connection to the cause, but during my first season one of my college roommates was diagnosed with Lymphoma. She became my first connection to the cause, and over the following years I became friends with more and more people who were battling cancer-- they became my connections as well.

Now, through my involvement with The Relay, I have the opportunity to raise a little money for another good cause, Organs 'R' Us, which I also have a connection to. When I moved to Walnut Creek the first roommate that I had was dealing with kidney failure and went through numerous dialysis treatments at home every day. He had gone through a kidney transplant a few years prior to me meeting him with a kidney donated from his sister, but that transplant was unsuccessful. Not too long ago, he underwent another kidney transplant with a kidney taken from a young girl. Today he is healthy and doing well! Without receiving this kidney, he wouldn't be enjoying the quality of life he has now.

If you're interested in donating to Organs 'R' Us and supporting this cause, Click Here for my fundraising page.

Last night I went for a run with Pam. All the rich food and wine I consumed over the weekend did NOT help me out any. When we first started running I felt sluggish and slow. After we'd gone about 2 miles I looked at my watch and saw that we were doing *gasp* sub 10 minute miles! Uggg, too fast, can't breath, might keel over.

I've uploaded some of the pics from Napa... I'll write all about the weekend soon. Here's a taste of some of the craziness that was the Napa Gala Weekend...


No comments: