Friday, April 25, 2008

Undercover sting

So yesterday Claudia asked me if I wanted to into the city with her for a little TNT alumni gathering. She wanted to sign up for the Summer triathlon season and if you signed up at the alumni thing, you got a discount on the registration fee. It was at MoMo's across from the ballpark and since I'm always up for drinks and free food, I said I'd go with her. Phil met us there and we had a good time eating, hanging out and visiting a little with some of the other TNT people there.

About 8:30 or so Phil, Claudia and I decided to leave. We walk out of the restaurant and wait at the corner for the light to change. As soon as the light changes, this car goes around the cars in the right turn lane and hangs a right-- we just stared at this car in disbelief because not only did he run a red light, he also cut in front of a bunch of cars to do it. We started to cross the street again, me in front, and I see this other car coming from the left but it doesn't enter my mind that this car might do the same thing. I keep walking through the intersection, but Claudia has figured out what the car's doing and pulls me back towards the sidewalk. Another car with flashing lights comes right behind that car and we see that all three cars have pulled over at the corner behind this SUV. A bunch of normal looking guys get out and walk up to the SUV.

At this point we realize that the "normal looking guys" are really plainclothes cops, and they were after whomever was in the SUV, which is why they had run the red light. Okay, so they were cops, but STILL... they were in undercover cars and they should have given us a little advanced warning before almost running us over! What if I refused to get out of the intersection, since we did have the right of way, would they have just run me over? Probably :( So they pull this big guy out of the SUV and handcuff him. Next thing you know this whole crowd of people is standing on the sidewalk with us (of course we hung around to see what was happened :D) saying they were related to this guy. I guess he was heading to MoMo's for a birthday celebration, and his family just happened to be sitting outside on the patio and saw this all go down. We stood around for a few more minutes and then decided we should probably leave before any of the family noticed that we were just hanging around and eavesdropping!

Tomorrow Claudia and Rocky are off on their vacation. Woo hoo for them but I will miss them :( TAKE ME WITH YOU!!! HAVE FUN! :D Starting tomorrow I will be staying at their place watching the babies doggies while they're gone!

No comments: