Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Nervous

The Relay is coming up in a few short days and I'm starting to get nervous! I was talking to Lindsay last night, and she's super nervous about the running. Surprisingly, I'm not too nervous about that (okay, maybe a little)-- I know that no matter what, I can get it done. It might not be fast, it might not be pretty and I might not be happy but I know that barring a fall into a ditch, I can finish my three legs. No, what I'm nervous about has nothing to do with running...

I'm worried about having to get up at 3:30am on Saturday morning; I'm worried about being the one person who packs too much crap; I'm worried about how cranky I'll be with no sleep; I'm worried about not bringing the right clothes and being too cold or too hot; I'm worried about being sweaty and icky for pretty much 36 hours straight; I'm worried about pulling my weight and my van mates liking me; I'm worried that I'll fall asleep with my contacts in, them hardening and suctioning to my eyeballs and then being forced to run "blind"; I'm worried about vomiting from motion sickness in the back seat of a van driving on Highway 17 (then my van mates would REALLY not like me!). In short, I'm worried about the fact that I have no idea what to expect, and can only plan ahead so much. All my obsessive planning tendencies are at complete odds with the unpredictability of this race! AHHH!!! But as much as half of my brain is worried and nervous and anxious and wants to curl into a ball and cry at the thought of doing this, the other half of my brain (I think the one that got me into this) know that it's going to be one of the best experiences of my life!

After three days straight of running (Saturday, Sunday and Monday) I decided to skip the Buddy Run last night (again) and take the evening off. I wanted to give my legs a little time to rest before putting them through the wringer this weekend. I have a sports massage scheduled for tomorrow, and then one last short run and I'll be set for this weekend! I hope.

Before I go, SHOUT OUT to my latest fundraising supporter John Nichols, my godfather and a longtime family friend!! THANK YOU for your donation!!

1 comment:

Phil said...

It'll be fun! Just roll with it. It's fun expecting the unexpected. It makes for great laughs...maybe not at the time, but later...I promise!