Monday, October 08, 2007

It was hot, hot, hot in Chicago!

This past weekend was a busy marathon weekend... there was the Portland marathon AND the Chicago Marathon. The Portland marathoners did a fabulous job... my brother kicked ass with a 4:16:59 finish time. He hardly trained, and really felt that lack of training, but still beat my best time by over an hour :( GOOD JOB BUDDY! Crazy marathoner Amy also did an amazing job with a finish time of 5:57 even... now bring on NY! Another TNT friend Rudy did VERY well with 4:05:07.

I heard the Portland weather was great for running... that was definitely NOT true for Chicago. The 88 degree heat, coupled with horrendous humidity, made for a not-so-fun running experience. One runner, a Michigan police officer, died; 49 runners were hospitalized; 250 runners were treated on-site; and for the first time ever, the 2nd half of the course was closed after almost 4 hours. If you didn't make it to the halfway point by then, you were diverted back to the start. 10,000 of the 45,000 registered runners chose to not even start the race due to the horrible conditions. Wow... those are NOT the kind of statistics you want to see at a marathon. One TNT alum was running and he did finish, although spent 45 minutes helping a man who collapsed in front of him-- he still finished the race in under 5 hours!

Compared to all this, my run was a piece of cake! I joined the EB teams for their Coached Run at San Leandro. The weather was perfect for running... nice and cool! Because part of the route is this awful gravelly surface, I had intended on running out 3 miles, and back, and then out and back again. That way I'd only have to spend about 3 total miles on the un-paved trail. But thanks to Raji, that didn't happen ;) Raji was chit-chatting away and next thing I know it's been 4 miles... I figured at this point I might as well keep going for another 2 miles until the turn around.

On the way back after turning around, Raji and I took a little detour so we could get another mile in. My brain wasn't working and I didn't get the math right so we ended up adding on a little over a half mile, instead of the full mile we wanted to do. Oh well... I guess there isn't too much different between 12.5 and 13... we can round up :D Toward the end of the run I was feeling much more pooped than Raji was... I was also having a little difficulty catching my breathe. I've been congested a lot in the morning so I think that was to blame... it felt like I had something in my throat I just needed to cough up. Sorry... that's sounds kinda gross :( All in all I felt pretty good although my feet and back were sore from the stupid gravel. :(

After finishing, Claudia, Rocky and I headed back to their house to clean up, and then went out to Sonoma for a little party at our favorite winery, Cline. They had food, live music and of course LOTS of wine. Since we had pigged out on Taco Bell on the way there we didn't eat much food, just the sinfully delicious Pumpkin Cheesecake. Ahhh, it was heaven :D Afterwards we visited a couple more wineries and then had dinner at our usual place, Mary's Pizza Shack in the Sonoma Plaza. My belly was so full of wine though I hardly ate my pesto pasta :( It did make a yummy lunch the next day though!

Sunday I went up to Vallejo for Emma and Andrew's birthday party. Even though it was a kiddie party, there were a few unaccompanied adults there too. I think we had as much fun as the kids did jumping in the bouncy house and eating the cupcakes :D I tell you, those jumpy houses are a workout! I spent about 10 minutes in there and came out sweaty and out of breathe! I'll update with some pictures later :D

No comments: