Monday, July 16, 2007

I "heart" lumpia

Yum... just writing that title is making my mouth water... more on the lumpia later...

Wow, this was a busy weekend! I can't believe that it's over already! Friday night I rented a movie and just took it easy in preparation for the 8 miler Saturday morning. I watched Catch and Release, a cute movie if a little cheesy :D

Saturday morning I headed over to the Berkeley Marina to do the Mentor Led Run with the Bayside team, led by Phil, Matt, and Lindsay. The weather in Berkeley was PERFECT for running-- overcast and chilly! It was so cold at the start I kept my sweatshirt on for the first mile or so of the run. I started out running with Matt, which means I was going a little faster than I should have. After the first mile, he took off ahead of me and I ran with another woman for awhile. I was feeling really good but when I got to the hill behind Golden Gate Fields, I decided to walk it so I didn't wear myself out-- after all, I still had to make it BACK to the marina! By that time Phil had caught up to me so we ran together the rest of the way.

After we turned around at mile 4, I was expecting to run into Claudia. At the base of the Golden Gate Fields hill we ran into Brandy, who had been running with Claudia earlier. She said that Claudia had tripped and fell around mile 1.5. :( That part of the course is particularly uneven and I'm surprised no one has taken a spill there earlier! Further down the road we see Claudia and Rocky pulling up... Claudia's knee is all scratched up and her ankle was starting to swell :( After chatting for a few minutes, Phil and I took off again to finish the rest of the run.

We finished in 1:36:03. All in all, I felt really good, other than my calves getting a little stiff towards the end. I think they were still shot from the track workout on Tues. and super speedy run with Amy on Wed. Today they feel fine though so I think they're pretty much recovered. I also got a couple blisters on the instep of my left foot. It seems like everytime I get new shoes I get blisters there for a few runs. Then the shoe is broken in and the problem is gone. I think I'll use some moleskin during our next few runs, just until the shoes are broken in.

After the run, just as the sun was starting to come out, I headed back home to get ready for a former co-worker's baby shower. It was really nice to see her, and fun to see all the fun baby stuff she got! AND we got yummy ladybug cupcakes as a favor!

Sunday I went over to Rocky's Uncle's house for the Reyes family reunion :D Yummm, lumpia :D If you've never had lumpia, you haven't truly lived. It's a little like an egg roll, but much smaller and yummier... and when it's dipped in that sweet sauce, it's pure heaven! They had tons of other food... ribs, chicken, Betsy's sister, beef, hot dogs, pasta salad, rice (of course), cake, It's It, otter pops and lot's more! It was an afternoon filled with yummy food, sun, laughing kids, barking dogs and Rocky's fun relatives :D His family is so big, I spent half the time trying to figure out who was related to whom, and how! I even got to see my little muffin... he was such a baby, wanting to sit on everyone's lap. I wonder how he got so spoiled?! :D


3 comments:

Amy said...

*snort* "Betsy's sister" indeed! You cracked me up!

Olivia said...

We can call her Patsy. I guess she had pretty ribbons on her piggie ears too, just like her sister :D

Rock said...

I just call her "Lunch".