Monday, August 06, 2007

Where did the sun go?

Seriously, what is up with this crappy weather? Isn't it like August? Or did I go into a food coma from eating so much this weekend, and wake up in October? Of course we couldn't have had this weather when I was running 12 miles on Saturday... grrrr :(

Saturday I woke up early to head over to the Alameda Ferry Terminal. Claudia is the PR Cappy for the new Fall team and she wanted to get started early so she could be back in time to do the team stuff. By the time I was ready and we started running, it was about 7:15. Last week I wrote how overcast and ugly it was when we ran in Alameda. This weekend it couldn't have been more different! By the time Claudia and I got to the first water stop, I was sweating like a pig. There was a slight breeze, but it was at our backs so it wasn't doing much to keep us cool. But after we crossed over the pedestrian bridge and ran through part of a neighborhood, we were back out along the water and running directly into a head wind. It cooled us down a little bit but made the running a little tougher.

When we got to the turn around point at mile 5, we both felt pretty good. We headed back the way we came, this time with the wind at our backs and running directly into the sun. After crossing the bridge, we found our breeze again. Ahhh, a little cooler! During the last 2 miles I was dreading getting back to the start, and heading out for ANOTHER 2 miles. I was ready to be done. But another part of me knew that I really needed to do at least 2 more miles. By the time Claudia and I crossed the start/finish line I was pooped. I did NOT want to keep running, especially since Claudia wasn't going to do anymore. BUT, I made a deal with myself... I would hang out a little and rest until Phil finished his 10 miles, and then if he was going out for 2 more, I'd go with him. A few minutes later, Phil comes rolling in and keeps on going with no pausing or stopping. That was my cue... back on goes the race belt and off I go! For the first mile, I felt great, but once we turned around, I was dying. The breeze we had during the first 10 miles was now a strong headwind and it was so hard to keep moving forward. I made it though... with the first 10 miles a little under 2 hours, and the last 2 in 22 minutes, my final time for 12 miles was about 2 hours and 16 minutes.

After the run I went home to eat, shower and nap before the next activity. Rocky's band, Mother Humbuckers, was playing a gig at the Rockit Room in SF. Claudia and I met up at Chevy's in Emeryville for dinner-- the food was super yummy but I ate way too much. My eyes were definately bigger than my stomach! Then it was off to SF for the gig. As usual, they all did a fantastic job and we had a lot of fun watching them. There were some other bands playing too... a couple of them a little wierd, including the one whose bass guitar player got naked during the last song. AHHH! Check out Claudia's blog for some pictures (not of the naked guy... just us and the band :D)

Since Saturday was such a late night I slept in a little bit. Around noon I went out to Redwood City to visit my friend Katie. We've know eachother since we were 4, and have been best friend since we were at the bus stop together in the 2nd grade. Even though she lives close by in Redwood City, she's a super busy anathesia resident at Stanford Hospital and I don't see her very often. We went out to lunch, caught up with eachother and then spent time on the internet looking up high school friends on MySpace and Google :D

After hanging out on the Penninsula with Katie, it was time to head back to WC for dinner with Claudia, Rocky, Lael and Anthea at PF Chang's. More yummy food for my belly!

No comments: