Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Emerald Nuts Race Report

I'm sorry... I know I'm an irresponsible blogger... I said I'd post the race report yesterday and here it is a whole day later. After much anticipation I'm sure (said VERY sarcastically) here it is:

Phil and I being the chronic early birds that we are had planned to get to the city before 7:00 so we could catch one of the early buses over to Fort Baker. When we got there the lines were nonexistent and we hopped right on. 15 minutes later we were dropped off at the start line on the other side of the bay. And then we just waited. And waited some more. And pottied. And waited. The race didn't start until 8:30-- Speedy Phil was in the 2nd wave which went out at 8:45 and I was in the 3rd wave at 9:00. So we had some time to just chill. Slowly my TNT teammates started arriving and then Mama Lisa showed up to get us stretched and do our shout outs.

Once the race started everything went really well. I've run the course before a couple of years ago and knew there would be a nice little downhill before the monstrous uphill climb to the golden gate bridge. And the hill? Worse and longer than I had remembered it! I had started out running with Sarah but she sped ahead of me up the hill... I run the very first part, walked through the middle of it, and then as soon as I heard Mama Lisa's bell towards top of the hill I started running again!

Once we were out on the bridge the views were gorgeous. The skies were clear and blue and although it was windy, it was a tail wind so I wasn't complaining. Yet. At the other side of the bridge we got a nice downhill to Crissy Field where we felt the wind again, this time coming at us from the side. We ran out and back along the bay to Fort Point and it was super windy. :( At this point I was still feeling pretty good... I wasn't tired, or feeling like I needed to walk at all. Then we got out to Crissy Field-- last time I ran this race I remembered this section as warm and boring. This year it wasn't warm, but it was boring :( For some reason this stretch just seems to never end :( Thankfully I ran into Jeanette out there taking pictures. I stopped to chat with her a little bit-- it was a nice break but after a few minutes I could tell my muscles were tightening up.

After I left Jeanette I looked at my watch and saw that I had less than a mile left. I caught up with a couple of teammates, one who was having some shin problems. She was a trooper though and wanted to run into the finish line for her family who was out there cheering her. We ran out along the street, up one last hill (we walked it) and then had a nice downhill to the finish where a bunch of TNTers were cheering us in. Woo Hoo!! I don't remember my final time... and I don't think they've been officially posted yet, but I felt really good at the end so I'm happy :D

Jeanette, Phil and I walked around the post-race area for a little bit and then Phil and I went in search of some food. The diner we went to in Ghiradelli Square was understaffed and had a long wait so we ended up at an Irish Pub downstairs. A Guinness, a burger and some fries and we were happy :D

After I got home I did a little cleaning, took a much needed shower and a short nap. Later that evening Lael and I went over to Claudia and Rocky's for a yummy dinner and some catching up. Oh, and of course got to spend some time with my favorite, crazy, spoiled doggies :D

No comments: