Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Goodbye Saucony, Hello New Balance!

It ended up being a good thing that I wasn't able to get my shoes on Monday night at the Danville store. I went over to the Walnut Creek Forward Motion last night to pick up the Sauconys that were waiting for me there. While I was trying them on I started chatting with the guy working there. I mentioned that I had some problems with blisters when I trained in my old shoes and he said that I might have the same problem with the new pair since it was the same shoe, just in different colors (white, red and black ... Amy, I thought of you when I saw them!!). Boo hoo... I don't want to have the same blister problem :( He thought the problem might be that the Sauconys were a little too tight around my arch, causing some friction that led to the blisters. He suggested that I try on some other shoe that might not be so narrow through the middle of my foot. Okay!

I tried on a pair of Brooks, New Balance and Mizunos and decided that I liked the New Balance pair the best. And guess what? Since their sizes run small, I'm now a size 11 in mens! How nice. I mentioned to the guy that I wished they'd make the women's shoes in larger sizes so I could wear the prettier ones-- I guess in some shoes they DO make larger sizes, but he said they would probably be too narrow and give me the same problem that my last shoes did. :( Oh well, I guess I'll stick with the mens. With my running shoes I'd definitely prefer comfort over style!!

I tried the new shoes out at the Buddy Run in Oakland. So far they feel really good... we'll see how they feel when we get into the longer mileages. The people at Forward Motion have always steered me the right way before so I trust their judgement and think that this was a good switch.

No comments: