Monday, March 10, 2008

Pretty Schmitty, those hills are STILL awful!!

Friday night after work I rushed home to pack up for the run on Saturday and the weekend at Claudia and Rocky's. I got to their house around 6:30 and took the doggies out for a little walk. The rest of the night was pretty low key... I made some dinner (THANK YOU Claudia for the pasta :D) and then cut up some oranges and cooked potatoes for our Honoree Potluck the next day after the run.

The doggies were good, pretty much just followed me around all night and then tried to both fit on my lap whenever I sat down. Daisy cracked me up when she was eating her dinner... I think a lot of dogs do this, they take a little food in their mouth, carry it away from their bowl, drop it on the ground and THEN eat it. I've seen Patch do it a lot, and Daisy does it too. At first she just walked a foot or so away, then she walked across the room to eat her food, and they for some reason she decided to walk into the empty magazine rack to eat her food! All I could see was her little hiney sticking out one end, and her ears out of the other as she ate her food. Silly girl!!

After some tv watching it was off to bed and a restless night's sleep :( First I was hot so off came the covers. Then around midnight my cell phone started beeping... the battery was dying and of course I forgot my charger. I knew Claudia and Rocky had a spare one around so I decided to peek into the closet to see if I could see it laying around somewhere. Found it, and then had to go plug the phone in which got the doggies excited in their little doggie condo. Back to sleep I went only to wake up a few hours later to Daisy whining. Thankfully it only lasted a few minutes so I went back to sleep and woke up next to my alarm at 6:00am. Sigh. Time to get up :(

I got myself ready, got the doggies pottied and walked, and was out the door at 6:30. The benefit to staying in Oakland was that my drive to Lake Chabot for the run was a short one! Jeanette and I got the water stop people off to their posts and then the team started to arrive. The mileage for the team was anywhere from 3-9 miles so there were a number of course options depending on how far you were going. First Coach sent everyone off to the left side of the lake (the blue line in the picture below) and then back to the starting area before heading off along the right side for a 6 mile loop (with a little out and back in the middle) (the red and green line). Jeanette and I didn't want to do the full 9 miles, and wanted to hang out at one of the forks in the course so we could give people directions so we skipped the first out and back, and just did the loop. This is the same course that I with the team when I was training for New York, and includes the dreaded 10 hills trail! Ugggh, I HATE hills! It was much easier with Jeanette by my side though. :D






After our run we had our honoree potluck, which gives the participants and chance to get to know and learn more about our honorees, and kind of thanks our honorees for letting us support them! Of course, there was much crying since their journeys have been very emotional ones. Some of them are in remission, some are still fighting, and some, like Brenda and Cole, lost the fight with cancer. We even got to hear from some of the participants who have a personal connection to the cause, and are running for someone close to them who has cancer. A definitely did a little crying, but it was still a very fun potluck, and the run wasn't bad either :D




Michael (an honoree), a participant whose mother is fighting cancer, and Matt (an honoree)



Louis (an honoree and fellow participant)


The rest of the day I spent lounging around with the doggies. I tried to take a nap on the couch but it's a little hard when two wiggly warm dogs are trying to find a comfy spot on YOU to take a nap too. I wound some of my yarn, watched some tv, took the dogs for a longer walk around the complex, wrote thank you cards and made some dinner. I talked to Claudia that night and she said that both Phil and Rocky had finished the century (WOO HOO!!!) and were feeling good, but tired. Check out their blogs to find out how the ride went! What I want to know is this: how is that they could spend 9.5-11 or so hours riding a bike, and climbing some nasty hills, and not feel as bad as when they run a marathon, which takes half that time. I don't get it. Even though you feel worse afterwards, I think I'll stick with running!

That night I slept much better! I started with the covers off so I wasn't too hot, the phone was charging and the doggies were quiet as mice the whole night. I still woke up though at 6:30 :( Why oh why can't I sleep in. I took Patch and Daisy out to go potty and walk around and the we all piled into bed to sleep/rest for awhile longer. Once I finally got up, packed my stuff, and had a little lunch I left the doggies :( and headed back home.

4 comments:

Claudia said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, the doggies were well taken care of. I think they even miss you a little :o)

Phil said...

Cycling is much much less impact than running. Going downhill on a bike takes a lot less effort than running down a hill. And finally the special ingredient is the "butt'r". Makes everything all good. :o)

Amy said...

It took me many years to realize I love Lake Chabot. I just hate RUNNING there! :)

Rock said...

9 hours spent on a bike is not as bad as it sounds. 5 hours spent running is. ;-)