Friday, March 21, 2008

Screw cancer

Yesterday I got an email from Sarah, one of our Spring mentors, with some sad news. Her dad, also her personal honoree, passed away Wednesday morning :( He battled lymphoma over 13 years ago and after all that time, the cancer recently came back. Cancer sucks. Big time. This just reminds me why I come back season after season to Team In Training. Yes I love the people, and the feeling of crossing that finish line after months of training, but really, it's all about raising money so we can help those smart doctors kick cancer's ass.

This also happened to be the week that Team In Training put on the Cause for Celebration. All the different East Bay teams got together to celebrate what TNT does to help the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. They talked about where the money that we raise goes, how it's used and also about how important it is to sign up for the National Marrow Donor Program. All it takes is a quick swab of your cheek (when I did it you had to give blood :() and some paperwork and you're all set. If you have a chance to sign up, do it... you may have a chance to save someone's life!

Fellow teammates at Cause for Celebration (Wingate is excited that they actually had wine there!)

On a running note, things have been going well. I ran with Pam Monday night and last night-- Monday we were a little on the speedy side (even though I told her I would probably have to take it slow after Sunday's race-- that didn't happen!) but last night I felt super sluggish. I was also STARVING the whole time we were running... maybe that's why I felt a little dead. :( I missed the Buddy Run on Tuesday because I was stuck late at work. By the time I got home, I was pooped and glad in a way that I had a free night and could just veg on the couch all evening and catch up on some tv. Even though I wasn't running on Wed. I knew that I would probably get home pretty late from Cause for Celebration.

Tonight I'm going to my friends Bryan and Jen's house. They had to put their sweet doggie down today and wanted to have a little memorial celebration to keep their mind off the empty house. :( Tomorrow AM I'm off to Yuba City to celebrate Easter with my folks and brother!

Big SHOUT OUT to TNT alum Petra Johnson for her donation... THANK YOU!!

No comments: